Database Software Choices
There are many choices available to you when installing database software for Icare to use.
You have a choice of two database software vendors:
Each vendor has free and paid editions to choose from. The free editions are suitable for most Icare needs. Paid editions can provide support and improved backup & maintenance systems.
You might use an older edition if it is already available on your server.
Microsoft has a special LocalDB edition for a standalone PC.
The database software and your data can be installed:
- on standalone PC along with the Icare software,
- on a PC that is accessed from other PCs in the same office,
- on a server PC,
- on a NAS box,
- hosted in the cloud.
Only needed on a single PC and have Windows 7 or newer?
- Use Microsoft SQL Server's LocalDB edition.
You would like to access Icare from more than one computer within your office.
- Either Microsoft SQL Server or MySQL is appropriate.
- A dedicated server is not required, a normal PC can be the database server. Remember this PC needs to be on for Icare to work on any other computer.
- Either a server PC, normal PC or NAS box.
Do you need access from multiple locations?